Thursday, January 3, 2013

One Night in Bangkok

First Night in Bangkok with the Ladyboys


Upon arriving in Bangkok, I could instantly feel the culture seeping into my skin. After breakfast, Megan, Cara and I went exploring the streets of downtown Bangkok to find multiple street vendors and  little shrines all over the city. Seeing as it was the holidays, many locals filled the streets, visiting shrines and keeping up with traditions. 

Soon after our independent exploration, we started our tour of the capital city. Many of our visits included Wats (temples) and palaces. Our first visit was to Wat Phra Khew (Temple of the Emerald Buddha), then to the Grand Palace and finally to Wat Po, which included the largest reclining Buddha  statue. 
Statues here are larger than life...for real

All the monuments were truly amazing and beautiful. I can honestly say I have never seen anything like that in my life! I knew Thailand had a large population of Buddist followers, but now after seeing all the temples, I realize how important it is for the Thai people. As a wise man once said, "You can't swing a dead cat without hitting one." Bangkok has a district/area that contains most of the city's temples. This is convenient for visiting many temples at one time. 

We ended the night by visiting the infamous Red Light District in Thailand (as hinted above in the first picture).  If you want stories, all you have to do is ask...

No comments:

Post a Comment